Friday, February 21, 2014

WOW! This is an interesting week.

Well, I have some very interesting news to share with you all. First off, the Platycryptus Undatus has passed away. I'm sorry that I didn't get the pictures of it up like I said I would, but I have been pretty busy and just never was able to get around to it. So for those of you who wanted to see it, you will have to go Google a picture of the Platycryptus Undatus to see what they look like. Mine looked like the ones you will find, so now you know what they look like. Pretty simple in designes and the spider itself isn't really pleasing to look at. But they are very difficult to find so long as they aren't on a red brick wall, which is pretty much how I caught mine. But now she is dead. It was short lived, but fun to have. Yeah, this doesn't look like a memorial that I created a couple days ago about Waffles, but this spider wasn't very close to me as I never did anything to it except feed it.

Now for the good news. Or shall I say awesome news! Two more Phiddipus Audax spiders have been added to the club. And both were caught this afternoon. One in the library during a class and the other in the lab while looking at the previous new find. And they are both big. Both in body size and leg span, not to mention the size of their legs. Much stockier and heavier in build. And they are females. Haven't found any males yet and I suppose they won't be showing up yet for a couple more months. This week and last week where I live has been really warm, very unusual for this time of year. So it is no surprise to find two spiders on a nice, sunny, cloudless, warm day. However, they were both found indoors. But that doesn't make much of a difference. The big connection though is that they were found by windows; the first one was on the window when I went to adjust the blinds, which was in direct sunlight, and then the other was found hidding on the edge of a sink plug next to the sink in the science lab, also pretty close to the window. Yup. Warmth plus lots of objects to hide near equals spiders--preferably jumping spiders. And somehow they have all managed to survive on the random flies that are randomly flying around the school. It is pretty funny to walk into the lab and find a dead, half-shriveled-up fly. Haha! There is a jumping spider nearby! :)

Thanks for checking out this post. Please hit the follow button and if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Pictures of these guys will be posted soon. And a video featuring Marbles and the other new spider from a couple days ago. (Yes, I need to name them. Just kinda lost tract when Waffles died.)

No comments:

Post a Comment