Thursday, November 14, 2013

Update on my pet Phiddipus Audax

Within the last few days, I have kept the little female Phiddipus Audax in a small critter keeper cage with a small styrofoam cup cut into a few pieces for something to climb on with some small pieces of wood to hold it together. My teacher was a bit concerned that it could climb out of the top holes in the stock cage cover, so we are using a semi-clear piece of plastic over the top of it for the cage and so far it is working out really well. There are plans to make it a little more permanent, but for the time being, the spider seems to be really happy in it and it is constantly making little nests around the corners. I wish she would make her nesting sites at the bottom or under the over-turned bottom piece of cup. Every time I go to remove the cover, I am pulling her nest apart. It is an irritating problem for me as I don't want to upset her and I know that it doesn't really help her out any. Luckly, she is still calm and pleasant to handle and let jump around on the table and back and forth from her cage. I feed her a small cricket that is usually a little bit bigger than her or about the same size every few days. So far I haven't been able to witness her eat the cricket, but when I get to school the next day, I will go in and check on her and the cricket's remains are laying in the bottom of the cage and her abdomen is fuller than it was the previous day. So I am glad that she is eating just fine and hopefully, she will live for a while. She still has her orange markings on her back, so I am pretty sure that she is pretty young still. Overall, she is fun to watch climb around in her cage and so far seems to enjoy it. I know I am!

Please feel free to comment on and follow my blog. Here are some other really cool blogs to check out:

Bills cars and computers
Graspvitality
Nathan3000368

I will try to post some pictures that my teacher took with a macro lense soon! They took a while to get as the jumping spider wouldn't sit still for more than a few seconds at a time.

I also don't have a name for her yet either. If anybody has any suggestions, tell me what you think. I was personally thinking Marbles, but that could change if anything else comes along that I like better.

2 comments: