Thursday, January 9, 2014

Another Update on the Jumping Spiders

Well, it is two days later and I have some pretty good news to share with you all. Yesterday, I found another jumping spider in the lab just above Marbles on the window sill. I really didn't notice it until I started to move Marble's cage around and then something black and fuzzy moved out of the corner of my eye. Yay! Another one. I had to leave it as my class was just starting, and I would be back to get it later. Luckily, it stayed in that area until I got back after school was out. It is another Phiddipus Audax like Marbles, but is a bit smaller and this one is brown-ish. Same markings, but they are more of a tan pale color than a bright orange like Marbles. And it is a female. It was decided that she go in the cage with Marbles along with three crickets. I have some pictures of them interacting with each other, luckily they weren't violant, but were very aware that the other one was there and they often threw threat postures while waiting for the other spider to strike. I am happy to say that they seem to be getting along with each other for the most part, but a cricket was gone when I came into the lab today. It had better be a cricket and not each other. I am going to have to be more aware of their abdomen sizes and when they each had a cricket last as to make sure they won't go hunting each other down. It is exciting for me to have two of them and even though I would love to have more, I think that two is plenty for this size of cage, as adding another one to the mix could bring great stress on the other spiders and one or more could end up dying. The good thing is that they are females and they can't have spiderlings together and I am glad for that as I don't have to keep track of lots and lots of baby spiders. They are fun to have around in there enclosure and I am glad that they will be allowed to stay around until summer break starts. They are both pretty young yet and I think that they newest one is even younger. So they should last a while.

I haven't come up with a name for the new spider yet, so if you have any ideas, please feel free to tell me what you think would suit the new one best.

Thanks for checking this blog out! If you have any questions about this blog, spiders, or anything else that you want an answer to (I would prefer that it be somewhat related to this blog), please leave it in the comment sections below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Other awesome blogs to check out!

Bills Cars and Computers
Graspvitality
Nathan3000368

Pictures will be posted later. I did attempt to take some yesterday, but they were kinda blury and I think that I will try to get some better ones. Jumping spiders aren't the easiest to film!

No comments:

Post a Comment