Friday, January 17, 2014

Awesome pictures of Marbles and Waffles.

Here are some pretty cool pictures of Marbles and her new cage mate, Waffles. Yeah, I know you're probably going "Waffles?? WTH man?!" Haha. Marbles is bad enough, but I decided to name them something random. It could be worse.

The smaller, brown jumping spider is Waffles and she is a Phiddipus Audax like Marbles. I haven't seen a brown Phiddipus Audax before, so it had me thrown for a minute. She has the same markings too, although the orange on her back is a bit faded. I think she could be a bit younger than Marbles, but I don't really know for sure. 
Sorry if any of these photos are really fuzzy, especially the ones at the end of Waffles. She is fuzzy, but my iPod Touch camera is obviously no high end camera, so please bare with me!
The jumping spider on the top is Waffles while the other one barely hiding under the cup bottom is Marbles.
The smaller spider facing the camera is Waffles. The big black one is Marbles.
Uh oh! Marbles is sizing up her dinner...
"NO!! I'm telling you! Go away or I will be forced to use these!" Marbles isn't happy at the sight of Waffles.

"Ok, I will go now."
Or not. Look at Marbles fangs spreading apart!
Marbles: "Fine, if you're not going, then I will!" And she really did try to get away. But I stopped her from climbing over the side of the cage and she abruptly made a dive for the bottom of the enclosure.
Now it looks like Waffles is going to fight back. Luckily, they never did.
"...Yeah! That's it! Run!!"

Here is Waffles. I left the lid open on the enclosure and she climbed to the top of the styrofoam-cup-ring-jungle-gym and just sat there. I was really happy to get the pictures and she was more than willing to cooperate. Something Marbles rarely does when she gets to the top of the cup rings.

I moved my finger around just a few inches in front of her and she followed my every move. And then she turned toward the iPod just like I was hoping she would do! I love that face! Hahaha! :)

"...Wow! That human's finger is huge! Should I run??" Thankfully, she decided I wasn't doing anything to her and she just stayed there.
Watching my teacher clean out his turtle's "play bin". (He uses it to feed his turtle so that it helps keep his aquarium cleaner.)

That is one cute spider and she was really enjoying the view of my school's science lab. I think that she is a quite a bit more docile than Marbles and even though she can really move like other jumping spiders, she tends to be a bit slower and not so quick to just take off. I was also handling her before I took these pictures and she was happy to come out and climb all over my hands and arms. So far, she and Marbles are getting along in there enclosure and I will be keeping them until they die or summer break arrives--hopefully the latter. I will try to get some pictures of the back of her abdomen so you can see that she is a Phiddipus Audax, or something very similar. Like I said above, I have never seen a brown one before, as all I have seen are black ones. But either way, she is an awesome spider and I will be posting more blogs of her and Marbles in the future, so please look forward to them! 

If you think that you would like to have a jumping spider as a pet, you can't easily go wrong with them. They are really easy to take care of and so much fun to play with so long as they aren't too defensive. If you want, I can make a care sheet in the future if anybody would like one. I really didn't know a whole lot about how to care for them even after I caught Marbles. It has taken some research, and experience to figure out what they like to do and what they eat. I won't go into this any further as it looks like I will do a care sheet anyway. There is also a blog I posted a while ago about someone who pretty much made one from their experiences. 

Hope you enjoyed the blog and if you have any questions, please leave them below and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment